When you’re in a relationship, bonding with a partner is a natural part of falling in love and getting to know someone. But, things will get a little odd if you’re overly attached to your boyfriend or girlfriend. Getting overly attached to someone will land you in the category of unhealthy emotional bonding.
When you truly love your girlfriend, you shouldn’t possess or keep her because this will make your girlfriend distance herself from you and you run the risk of losing the relationship. Instead, you should respect her autonomy and spirit. True intimacy is always about maintaining the balance between bonding and letting go to allow the relationship to thrive.
So, are you overly attached to your girlfriend? Not sure? Well, below is a quiz for you that will help you determine your bonding pattern with your girlfriend.
- Do you cling to your girlfriend?
- Do you want to possess her?
- Do you constantly think about your girlfriend?
- Do you think you are obsessive about your girlfriend after you have sex?
- Do you often get anxious or afraid that your partner might abandon or betray you someday?
- Do you feel nervous when she doesn’t call or text you every day?
- Does your girlfriend think that you’re trying to suffocate or control her?
- Do you have a feeling that your life will be meaningless without her?
- If you answered “Yes” 6-8 times – it indicates that you’re extremely over-attached to your girlfriend.
- If you answered “Yes” 4-5 times – it indicates that you’re moderately attached to your girlfriend.
- If you answered “Yes” 2-3 times – it indicates that you’re somewhat overly attached to your girlfriend.
- If you answered “Yes” 0-1 times – it indicates that you have a healthy level of emotional bonding with your girlfriend.
Some men have a tendency to get overly attached to women. This happens particularly after sex. These men bond quickly and fuse with a woman to such an extent that they can’t scale back and get detached from her. Later, they start thinking about her constantly and become obsessive. Humans are sexual beings. So, for some guys, if they haven’t had sex in a while, they can get quite desperate and needy compared to men who are already in a committed relationship. Being in this position makes men, as well as many women, susceptible to getting overly attached. For example, if a man is extremely overly attached to his partner and he doesn’t hear from her for a few days, he can become anxious and scared of losing her of being rejected or abandoned. This isn’t healthy for the relationship, and it’s a total turn-off for most women.
So, what is the solution to becoming possessive or overly attached to your partner? The right approach will be to focus on strengthening your self-esteem and confidence, and addressing and getting rid of your fears and insecurities, including the fear of rejection or abandonment. Addressing your tendency to get overly attached to your partner will enable you to have a happier and more pleasurable relationship.