Some people get overwhelmed with anxiety when it comes to writing their online dating profiles. Instead of describing yourself who you really are, your profile turns into a sales and marketing tool. One common mistake men and women make in writing their online dating profile in a way that is making themselves seem to be desperate and trying too hard. It’s not a good sign.
These are the five ways in which a person appears to be trying too hard to be attractive to others. Read on to find more:
1. Being too funny. True, everyone loves a sense of humor, but that doesn’t mean that you have to crack a joke or write a sarcastic statement on every third or fourth line of your profile. You don’t need to tell people that you’re the king or queen of comedy. Being too funny can actually turn off some of your potential suitors, so keep an eye on that. While most people do have an average sense of humor, he or she might feel outclassed if they think their potential partners are like professional comedians such as Sarah Silverman or Jay Leno.
2. Being too sarcastic. Most folks assume that being funny or sarcastic are same. But, it’s not. Funny is good, but being sarcastic can offend people. The fact is men and women try to be sarcastic in their profiles to appear defensive. See, when people feel nervous, insecure or anxious about getting rejected, they try their best to look bold, strong and sarcastic, thinking that it may boost their confidence. But, what actually happens is people get put off by your excessive sarcastic attitude.
3. Being too intelligent. It’s perfectly fine if you want to remind yourself and your potential suitors about your intelligence. But, it’s not normal if you keep boasting about your IQ or SAT scores on the first date with someone. In reality, most men and women like to date someone who has average or above average levels of intelligence. Being overly intelligent or smart in your dating profile can scare away a lot of people fearing that he or she is out of their league.
4. Being too successful. You won’t make people interested in your profile if you’re professionally or financially successful. Most men and women are trying to be content with what they have. Regardless of your wealth or career, it has no real effect on your profile. If you’re a cashier, don’t be ashamed; only tell that you work at the local Walmart. If you’re a CEO, don’t brag or intimidate people, instead, tell them you’re managing a company. Don’t spend too much time explaining to people about your profession or what you do for a living unless they like to know.
5. Being too cool. If you like to ruin your chance to find a partner online, then being too cool will do it for you. If you make people think that you’re the most-liked, you make people feel alive, you’re the life of the party, it’s actually making people think that you’re overly image-conscious or duplicitous. Don’t try to be someone you aren’t.
Whether you’re young or a veteran, if you’re looking for a woman or man, try writing your online dating profile in a way that reflects who you really are in person. Creating your dating profile shouldn’t have to stressful process.